You can set the DocumentRoot to "C:/" (note the forward slash instead of
the backslash).
You can technically set it to just "/" also if you want the drive where
HTTPD is located.

When running HTTPD on Windows, it is good practice to use forward slashes
even though backslashes work in some places.
This is supposed to be inserted as a comment in the Windows httpd.conf (by
httpd/branches/2.4.x/build/installwinconf.awk):

> # NOTE: Where filenames are specified, you must use forward slashes
> # instead of backslashes (e.g., "c:/apache" instead of "c:\apache").
> # If a drive letter is omitted, the drive on which httpd.exe is located
> # will be used by default.  It is recommended that you always supply
> # an explicit drive letter in absolute paths to avoid confusion.

- Y