I am revisiting this. As per the change suggested I modified the program so
that it returns EOF and it was working fine. Until one day, the program
which is supposed to get restarted by apache every hour (that's when log
file rotates), stopped getting restarted. It is not stuck. It is still
processing the things. But it is just that it has been running for many
days with same pid. I wonder if that will cause some problem. I am actually
storing all the events read by this program somewhere else. Then I need to
compare these with the logrotate which is hourly rotating the error_log
file. Here I find few events missing.

Any pointers for debugging this ?