> So, there's no way of creating a log file in the default directory or some
> special directory ?

Apache usually logs stderr of CGI scripts to its error log, you can use this.
If you give any file or directory the permissions you observe on your /tmp file
(something like writeable by group www-data), it might work for debugging, or
not if SELinux or apparmor gets in the way.

Better solution for debugging Python scripts is cgitb: it will show everything
but syntax errors in browser window, and syntax errors will still be visible in
Apache logs. In production you can configure cgitb to create tracefiles in a
predefined directory.

(Also, typical initial problem with CGI scripts is forgetting to write HTTP
headers.)
--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili