Hello,

I'm using Apache HTTP Server 2.2.32 on Linux.

I see that too many child processes are being made on Apache HTTP Server.

Child processes are being made up to 256 on Apache HTTP Server.

Apache HTTP Server is using ServerLimit default value(256).

Q. Could you please provide me how to set ServerLimit value greater than
ServerLimit default value(256) on Apache HTTP Server?

Q. Could you please give me any advice for reducing be being made too many
child processes on Apache HTTP Server?

Q. Is tcpdump helpful for analyzing why the issue has been happening?
I thought tcpdump wouldn't be helpful to analyze why the issue has been
happening.

Please refer the following information.

Server version: Apache/2.2.32 (Unix)
Server built:   Nov 10 2017 14:18:57
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:42
Server loaded:  APR 1.5.2, APR-Util 1.5.4
Compiled using: APR 1.5.2, APR-Util 1.5.4
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
  threaded:     no
    forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/apps/apache"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/apps/apache/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

ServerLimit 256
Timeout 1800

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>