On 9/28/18 7:10 AM, Carmel NY wrote:
> Okay, on a stock FreeBSD installation, maybe on others too, there is an
> index.html file in the document root that displays,

In my experience you can't expect a stock instllation to work,
especially since you seem to be pointing at different directories that
the stock installation.  The biary might be find but you need to make
sure your set up conforms to the expectations of the binary or that your
apachectl is called correctly.

Don't be affarid to call your apache directly:
[www3 bin]# ./httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.4.27 (Unix)
Server built:   Sep 30 2017 13:13:14
Server's Module Magic Number: 20120211:68
Server loaded:  APR 1.6.3, APR-UTIL 1.6.1
Compiled using: APR 1.6.2, APR-UTIL 1.6.0
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     prefork
  threaded:     no
    forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=256
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache2"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache2/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
[www3 bin]# ./httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  mod_so.c
  http_core.c
  prefork.c

./httpd -t

You also need to find your log files and tail them

tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/*

On top of that, FWIW, virtual hosts are very dependent on fuinctioning
DNS, and your DNS is being setup dynamically with dynamicdns etc.  That
has often been a source of trouble, to say the least.

Ruben
http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com