On 29 Sep 2018, at 21:02, Frank Gingras <thu...@apache.org> wrote:
> As for the "filter_var" error, you're missing a php extension/module.

No, I'm not. filter is built in to php and is properly listed in php -m

On 30 Sep 2018, at 03:43, Carmel NY <carmel...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Add the following to the "/etc/make.conf" file:
>
>       DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=php=7.0

Ah, I did not do that.

> Seriously though, why not install 7.2 and be done with it.

I don't really know the status of 7.2 and don't know it anything else will
break. I did test my php stuff against 7.0 and all is fine.

> Now install php 7.0 and "lang/php70-extensions". Be sure to configure it to
> install the extensions you need. Install any ones from your list that are not
> included in the package by hand. You will have to install the "mod_php70"
> manually also.
>
> Now, restart apache24, or better yet, just do a reboot of your machine to
> insure it all works correctly.

I gave up on mod_php a couple of years ago when I went to apache 2.4. Apache
2.4 really seems to prefer fcgi with php-fpm. the initial configuration changes
were a pain, but now it is all fine and php apps (like roundcube) are
noticeably faster and the load not eh machine is ... well, nonexistent.

I will give it another go and see where I get.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.