I'm not absolutely sure about millions but I have a few hundred thousand pages.
The two issues that might be a problem is the filesystem speed of your
implementation and the path name length. Not Apache limitations but that of
your file server's OS.

Darryl Baker  (he/him/his)
Sr. System Administrator
Distributed Application Platform Services
Northwestern University
1800 Sherman Ave.
Suite 6-600 – Box #39
Evanston, IL  60201-3715