Couple of questions ...

Reading this Apache httpd document ...
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_fcgi.html

Does the below mean if the max children for a PHP-FPM pool using Unix Domain
Sockets is reached then any subsequent PHP-FPM requests for that virtual host
utilize a TCP socket? If we have the base www.conf<http://www.conf> pool
configured to use TCP as opposed to Unix Domain Sockets?

SetHandler
"proxy:unix:/var/run/php-fpm/something.com.sock|fcgi://something.com/"

What would be the impact of NOT defining a matching worker for the above
config? Like is done in this line on the apache.org documentation page
referenced above ..
<Proxy "fcgi://localhost/" enablereuse=on max=10>

Occasionally, typically when someone is doing a Wordpress core or plugin
upgrade, all PHP-FPM sites cease to load their content. And a reboot is needed
to get back to normal. But a large number of PHP-FPM processes get started
seemingly maxing out the "Sethandler" connections. then we see "fcgi" timeouts
in log.

Our goal is to avoid the perceived problem the results from this php-fpm/TCP
bug by using Domain Sockets. Any suggestions?
https://blog.cloudflare.com/this-is-strictly-a-violation-of-the-tcp-specification/

Thanks for everyones work on Apache