I assume you have tried openssl standalone on such a certificate?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25482199/verify-a-certificate-chain-using-openssl-verify#26520714

Since, I do not know of any specific checks added for this in Apache, I assume
that openssl updated its verification implementation. The command line should
let you verify that.

If this is the case, question would be if some openssl config parameter can
disable that for you. I think there are some people around here who should be
able to find that out, once you have verified that with your certs.

Cheers, Stefan