> On 10 Mar 2023, at 16:32, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 8:56 AM Thomas Åkesson
> <thomas.akes...@simonsoft.se> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are experiencing the effect that a RewriteRule resulting in R (redirect)
>> are blocked (403) with AH10410 despite being encoded before 2.4.56 (the
>> resulting Location header was ok). Is this change intentional?
>>
>> Example:
>> RewriteRule             ^/here/([^/]+)(/.*)$
>> http://example.com:8080/elsewhere/?base=$1&target=$2 [R,QSA,L]
>>
>> We are evaluating this workaround:
>> [R,B,BNP,NE,QSA,L]
>>
>> This results in encoded slashes which is not necessary. Any ideas how to
>> achieve the previous result?

Also found that many additional characters are encoded that were not encoded
before 2.4.56 (parentheses, period, ...). The primary concern is loss of URL
readability.

> You can limit the characters B will escape.  I assume spaces in the
> URL are the original problem?

Yes, they are the problem that we have seen. I am not sure if the "control
characters" mentioned would ever appear in normal use.

> Try e.g. [R,B= ?,...]
>
> The question mark is to avoid the issue of not being able to have " "
> as the final character in this syntax.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am unable to make 2.4.52 (Ubuntu) accept space for
the B-flag. I have tried first, middle, last, only flag but always getting
"RewriteRule: bad flag delimiters".

I am also having concerns whether this would work (unable to test at this
time).
 - The spaces would likely be double-encoded unless adding NE
 - Adding NE would suppress encoding of all other characters that should be
encoded in the query string