Frank Gingras <thu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Why are you using the event mpm with mod_php? This isn't recommended.

I don't know enough to disagree, or say whether this is causing the problem. I
can tell you my weak reasons:

Out of the box, Slackware 15.0 httpd loads the event MPM, and its LAMP how-to
gives directions for enabling PHP that do not entail switching MPMs, seemingly
because its PHP is thread safe:

        $ php -i | grep Thread
        Thread Safety => enabled
        Thread API => POSIX Threads

From my reading, prefork MPM gets recommended over a threaded MPM with mod_php
because thread safety is hard. The PHP FAQ recommends against a threaded MPM in
a production environment. But the Apache wiki PHP article actually prefers a
threaded MPM over prefork MPM for performance reasons, in the rare case that
one's Linux distribution ships a threaded MPM, which apparently mine does.

The reports I've seen of errors running a thread-unsafe PHP with the event MPM
involve segfaults, which is not what I'm seeing. My problem looks a bit more
like a race condition in graceful restarts.

To sum up, laziness (not deviating from presets) plus the Apache recommendation
are my reasons, which as I've said are weak.

I'll try to reproduce the problem without mod_php. The good news is it will only
irritate one user. The bad news is it's my wife.

If mod_php turns out to be the culprit, I'll try php-fpm, which seems to also be
preinstalled by Slackware 15.0, but not discussed in the Slackware LAMP how-to.

Cheers! Edward