On 5/15/24 19:15, Dave Wreski wrote:
Hi,

Google insists that one of our staging sites needs to be indexed despite "disallow" in robots.txt and a half-dozen other methods for preventing Google from indexing it (including submitting it for removal from their index). The staging site is even protected with a RequireAll statement for the DocumentRoot based on the IP, which then results in a 404 and other errors in GSC. This impacts our SEO and also causes GSC to stop processing the rest of our site.

The next steps I'd like to do is to redirect anyone not in that RequireAll statement to be redirected to the production site. Is this possible? Perhaps a RewriteCond that depends upon certain IPs, then otherwise redirects to the production site?

Thanks,
Dave

The last time I ran into this was back in iptables days 20 years ago. Based on IP they were denied because my site at the time included my photo's and totalled about 13 gigabytes. This was in the days of bandwidth per month of 30 gigs. Because google has so many machines they used up all my allocation long before the month was up. I wound up putting another search engine in that database, mj12, so I wound up with an iptables file about 15k lines long. That continued until I had ported the whole thing to a couple new Seacrate 1t drives, both of which went tits down in the night within 2 weeks, just disappearing off the sata-III bus. I was so pi$$ed I didn't even warranty them. SSD's are it today. I have only one spinning rust drive in 8 machines here now, a 250 gig that refuses to die. iptables worked but took about 10 hours a month to maintain it cuz they moved the machines to a new address. Some of the iptables rules ended in /16, so I was blocking a goodly share of the ipv4 space when I had the gran crash. I controlled it most of the time but it was several hours a week keeping even with them. You never get ahead. I still have a registered name but all you get is the apache test page.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis