Rob / Jeroen / IPv6 folk,

[I wonder if this is the best list, but it started here. I will post
something related to idr soon]

> Rob Thomas wrote:
> I am attempting to put together an IPv6 version of the bogon
> template, and I could definitely use some help.  I have the very
> rough BETA version available, but I don't have a live IPv6 feed
> or much IPv6 experience.  I'm sure I have some amazing errors,
> and I'd like to know about them.  :)  If you have a few moments,
> I would welcome your ideas and insight.
> <http://www.cymru.com/Documents/bogonv6-list.html>

Rob, before we begin the work on the actual bogon list, I think we need
to have a sound discussion about the distribution methods, see below.

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Though, dear vendors, maybe it would be nice to have some kind of
> distribution method for filters, another use of this would be to
> quickly distribute a prefix which would need to be dropped (ddos etc).

Actually, I think that there would be little work to adapt BGP
Prefix-Based Outbound Route Filtering (ORF) do make it capable of
applying the received prefix-list to other interfaces; See below.

I wrote a little taxonomy about IPv6 bogon filtering; this is very, very
crude and I welcome your comments.

Taxonomy of IPv6 bogon filtering.
=================================

There are five basic ways to handle the IPv6 bogon filtering issue:

1. Manually configured prefix-lists.
2. BGP feed of "bad" prefix aggregates.
3. BGP feed of anomalies.
4. BGP feed of "good" prefixes.
5. Derivative of BGP Prefix-Based Outbound Route Filtering (ORF).

1. Manually configured prefix-lists.
------------------------------------

This involves one or more volunteers (likely from the to: field :-) to
maintain a prefix-list that is to be configured manually on routers. The
issue with this is change management: as we have seen with the 69/8
fiasco not that long ago, some people do _not_ update their filters
regularly, and when the bogon prefix-list is modified it can take weeks
to be upgraded, which is not good. In terms of granularity, this is what
gives the finest control.

2. BGP feed of "bad" prefix aggregates.
---------------------------------------

This is the mechanism currently used by team cymru's bogon route
servers. The issue with this is that the domain of applicability is
limited to networks that do not receive a full feed. If one gets a full
feed, this method does not prevent bad prefixes if they are smaller than
the bogon feed, because of the longest match rule. So, this is an option
only for networks with private peering only and a default route outside,
because a blackhole route is installed to dump all the bogon traffic
instead of sending it to the default route.

3. BGP feed of anomalies.
-------------------------

A finer version of the previous one. Real-time monitoring of the routing
table at different points allows to build a list of bad announcements.
Contrary to the previous option, this allows to deal with specific
announcements. The issue with this is that it does not prevent the bad
announcement to be received, it actually adds another path that will be
made preferred to the offending announcement and used to dump the
traffic in a blackhole. Compared to the feeding of bad aggregates, this
method extends the domain of applicability to defaultless networks, at
the expense of aggravating the routing table size issue.

4. BGP feed of "good" prefixes.
-------------------------------

Jeroen, I'm sorry but I still can't figure out how you can make this
work. Can you post a Cisco example please? Both ends, route server and
client.

5. Derivative of BGP Prefix-Based Outbound Route Filtering (ORF).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1838/products_feature_
guide09186a0080134a57.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-bgp-prefix-orf-06.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-route-filter-09.txt

Unfortunately the actual capabilities of this are that the filter-list
received from the peer is applied only outbound to the same peer. This
would be a very promising technique for bogon route servers, but we need
to enhance it.

Please send comments.

Michel.