Hi David and Ashwin

Is the intention for the EJBs to be part of the same webapp as the Isis
application itself?  If so, then it should be easy enough to access the
Isis runtime as a "headless" application, as per [1]

In other words, you just need to subclass AbstractIsisSessionTemplate and
override doExecute(...).  To execute, just instantiate and call
execute(...); this is where you specify the user account to connect as
(AuthenticationSession class).

Your subclass can declare dependencies (using @Inject) and these will be
injected automatically.

If you want to simulate the UI, then use the WrapperFactory [2], [3]

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, please say.

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://isis.apache.org/guides/ug.html#_ug_headless-access
[2]
http://isis.apache.org/guides/rg.html#_rg_services-api_manpage-WrapperFactory
[3]
http://isis.apache.org/guides/ug.html#_ug_testing_integ-test-support_wrapper-factory

PS: fyi, in some future release we intend to refactor the Isis framework so
that all its components are just regular EJB beans; this should then avoid
the requirement for the AbstractIsisSessionTemplate boilerplate.