This must be an old version of ARQ you are using, assign is the precursor
to the extend algebra operator which generally corresponds to the BIND
keyword in SPARQL 1.1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#bind)

This is most definitely pre-Apache era ARQ since it still has arq.jar and
arq-extra.jar

I would strongly recommend either writing your own library to do this or
forking the Mediation library and porting it to run against the current
ARQ.

Rob