My 2 cents on this topic:

SDB will support more than a few million triples, but you may have to hand
tune the database tables using partitioning and such.

It will support more than a few million triples without tuning but insert
and search times will increase dramatically.  The problem is, as with any
large scale relational installation, the trade off between indexes and
partitioning to make table scans/indexes faster.

If you can use TDB that is probably your best solution.

I understand there are a couple of implementations that sit on top of
Hadoop or No SQL storage platforms, perhaps one of those might work for you
-- but you would need to spend some time evaluating them.

In my mind the key questions are:

1) Will your data be updated on a regular basis?  If so how frequently.

2) Why do you need to use a relational DB?  I can understand if this is an
external requirement such as we have to deploy on infrastructure X and it
only supplies relational DB Y as a data store.

3) How much time do you have to learn how to best tune the DB to handle the
SDB architecture?

4) How much time do you have to explore other implementations (e.g. TDB,
Hadoop) and understand their limitations and impacts on your
infrastructure/architecture?

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>