On 14/05/2020 19:06, Chris Tomlinson wrote:
Hi Andy,

I want to validate a named graph in the context of the union graph. I don’t want to
validate the union graph. The union graph has information in it such as the ontology
which defines subClass and subProperty relations needed to successfully validate a
target graph such as http://purl.bdrc.io/graph/P707
<http://purl.bdrc.io/graph/P707>.

I don't understand "in the context of the union graph."

Isn't "Context" in RDF is "merge the graphs"?

Validation is a process that operates on a shapes graph (which is parsed so really its just shapes - anything else in it is ignored) and a data graph.

There's no structure to the data graph - it is everything being validated.

I did suggest some SHACL extensions

   https://afs.github.io/shacl-datasets.html

but they are hypothetical extensions.

In code, you could make a temporary union of two or more graphs to make a single data graph.

"a named graph in the context of the union graph."

So the NG is in addition to the dataset graphs? or is in in the dataset already?

In the SHACL service ?graph= is the data target and is taken from the dataset.

Also P707 refers to a parent and teacher P705 which needs to be verified that
it meets minimum criteria for a Person.

I thought that validate(shapes, graph, node)

/** Produce a full validation report for this node in the data. */

i.e. use node as the focus node (like sh:targetNode) and execute the shapes only with that node.

But does P707 have one focus node or many?

should accomplish this if graph = the dataset graph which contains all these
additional bits of information.

That’s why the endpoint is interesting since it provides in principle access to
using shacl inside of Fuseki, where the entire dataset is available, without
having to write an independent bit of code that we add to our fuseki
deployments.

There is nothing special about Fuseki endpoint - any Dataset has a union graph.

It's a way to call

ValidationReport report =
    ShaclValidator.get().validate(shapesGraph, data);

on a remote data graph.

I hope this clarifies what I’m wanting to accomplish. I probably don’t
understand what validate(shapes, graph, node) is supposed to do.

Thanks for your patience,
Chris