Kane,

I'm the creator of kafka-python, just thought I'd give some insight.

Consumer rebalancing is actually pretty tricky to get right. It requires interaction with ZooKeeper which (though possible via kazoo) is something I've tried to avoid in kafka-python. It also seems a little strange to me to mix your consumers between Java/Scala and Python. If you really need rebalancing between Python consumers, you'd have to implement that on top of kafka-python.

Once the coordinator API is finalized for 0.9, I (or someone) will work on implementing it in kafka-python

Cheers
-David