Marc - thanks again for doing this.  Couple of suggestions:

- I would suggest removing the disclaimer and email quotes since this
  can become a stand-alone clean document on what the purgatory is and
  how it works.
- A diagram would be helpful - it could say, show the watcher map and
  the expiration queue, and it will be especially useful if it can
  show the flow of producer/fetch requests through the purgatory. That
  would also help cut down a lot of the text in the doc.
- I think it would be preferrable to have just high-level details in
  this document.  Internal details (such as the purge interval
  settings) can either be removed or moved (to say, a short faq or
  config section at the end).
- In the overview may want to comment on why we added it: i.e., it is
  the primary data structure we use for supporting long poll of
  producer/fetch requests. E.g., if we don't do this consumers would
  have to keep issuing fetch requests if there's no data yet - as
  opposed to just saying "respond when 'n' bytes of data are available
  or when 't' millisecs have elapsed, whichever is earlier."
- WRT your question on PurgatorySize - we added that just to keep a
  tab on how many requests are sitting in purgatory (including both
  watchers map and expiration queue) as a rough gauge of memory usage.
  Also the fetch/producer request gauges should not collide - the
  KafkaMetricsGroup class takes care of this. The CSV reporter might
  run into issues though - I thought we had fixed that but could be
  wrong.

Joel