Hi,

Kafka version is 0.8.1.1. We have three machines: A,B,C. Let’s say there is a
topic with replication 2 and one of it’s partitions - partition 1 is placed on
brokers A and B. If the broker A is already down than for the partition 1 we
have: Leader: B, ISR: [B]. If the current controller is node C, than killing
broker B will turn partition 1 into state: Leader:  -1, ISR: []. But if the
current controller is node B, than killing it won’t update leadership/isr for
partition 1 even when controller will be restarted on node C, so partition 1
will forever think it’s leader is node B which is dead.

It looks that KafkaController.onBrokerFailure handles situation when the broker
down is the partition leader - it sets the new leader value to -1. To the
contrary, KafkaController.onControllerFailover never removes leader from the
partition with all replicas offline - allegedly because partition gets into
ReplicaDeletionIneligible state. Is it intended behavior?

This behavior affects DefaultEventHandler.getPartition in the null key case -
it can’t determine partition 1 as having no leader, and this results into
events send failure.

What we are trying to achieve - is to be able to write data even if some
partitions lost all replicas, which is rare yet still possible scenario. Using
null key looked suitable with minor DefaultEventHandler modifications (like
getting rid from DefaultEventHandler.sendPartitionPerTopicCache to avoid
caching and uneven events distribution) as we neither use logs compaction nor
rely on partitioning of the data. We had such behavior with kafka 0.7 - if the
node is down, simply produce to a different one.

Thanks,
Alex