just simply tried artifact kafka_2.10:0.8.1.1 as suggested in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1454 but got the error written
above

now I've cloned the repo and compiled with

./gradlew jar => success
./gradlew -PscalaVersion=2.10.0 jar => success
./gradlew -PscalaVersion=2.11.0 jar =>  FAILURE

both on trunk and 0.8.1.1 tag

the compile error is the same as here
https://github.com/davidB/scala-maven-plugin/issues/145#issuecomment-39189898

i've tried disabling zinc => got classpath errors at an other point
and upgrading zinc => had other version incompatibilities

Seems like there are issues with scala 2.11