Hi Guozhang,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Guozhang Wang <wangg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is indeed a problem, for now, we recommend group name and topic names
> to use "_" when there is a need for "-", but this should be fixed
> systematically.

Right!

For you use case, could you change your topic/group name using "_"?

Our own Kafka doesn't use topics with "-" characters, so we don't have a
problem.

The problem, in our case, is that we have a general (Kafka) monitoring tool
that other people use to monitor Kafka - see http://sematext.com/spm/ .  So
we can't really tell people "hey, our tool will work but only if you don't
have a dash in your topic names and hosts and ... because if you use dashes
we won't know how to parse your Kafka's MBean names" :)

> Also, do you mind to file a JIRA ticket to keep track of this issue?

Here it is: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1481

Otis