+1

Topic Deletion with 0.8.1.1 is extremely problematic, and coupled with the fact
that rebalance/broker membership changes pay a cost per partition today,
whereby excessive partitions extend downtime in the case of a failure; this
means fewer topics (e.g. hundreds or thousands) is a best practice in the
published version of kafka.

There are also secondary impacts on topic count — e.g. useful operational tools
such as: http://quantifind.com/KafkaOffsetMonitor/ start to become problematic
in terms of UX with a massive number of topics.

Once topic deletion is a supported feature, the use-case outlined might be more
tenable.

Best Regards,

-Jonathan