If you use the high level consumer implementation, and register all
consumers as part of the same group - they will load-balance
automatically.

When you add a consumer to the group, if there are enough partitions
in the topic, some of the partitions will be assigned to the new
consumer.
When a consumer crashes, once its node in ZK times out, other
consumers will get its partitions.

Gwen