ack = 2 *will* throw an exception when there's only one node in ISR.

The problem with ack=2 is that if you have 3 replicas and you got acks
from 2 of them, the one replica which did not get the message can
still be in ISR and get elected as leader, leading for a loss of the
message. If you specify ack=3, you can't tolerate the failure of a
single replica. Not amazing either.

To makes things even worse, when specifying the number of acks you
want, you don't always know how many replicas the topic should have,
so its difficult to pick the correct number.

acks = -1 solves that problem (since all messages need to get acked by
all replicas), but introduces the new problem of not getting an
exception if ISR shrank to 1 replica.

Thats why the min.isr configuration was added.

I hope this clarifies things :)
I'm planning to add this to the docs in a day or two, so let me know
if there are any additional explanations or scenarios you think we
need to include.

Gwen