A topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms of 10 mins means that the producer
will take 10 mins to detect new partitions. So newly added or reassigned
partitions might not get data for 10 mins. In general, if you're still at
prototyping stages, I'd recommend using the new producer available on kafka
trunk (org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.KafkaProducer). It has better
performance and APIs.