@Otis  thanks for your answer.

Of course it is not about manually watching connection. We already have
monitoring tools in place. But I would expect the kafka client to provide
means for get notified about potential connectivity issues.
Actual behavior is this: the client retries to reconnect indefinitely (I
see errors in logs). What I need, is a kind of listener which would be
invoked when the connection state change. In other words, once the client
notice the problem and is trying to reconnect, our monitoring tools would
reflect the connection state as soon as the problem appears.

Thanks,
Alex