same situation with us. we run jbod and actually dont replace the failed
data disks at all. we simply keep boxes running until non-failed drives
falls below some threshold. so our procedure with kafka would be:
1) ideally kafka server simply survives failed disk and keeps going, and
fixes itself with the data disks left.
2) if kafka server does not survive failed drive can we start it back up
with one less data disk and it will fix itself?