1. Except for that hostname setting being a list instead of a single host,
the changes look reasonable. That is where you want to customize settings
for your setup.

2 & 3. Yes, you'll want to update those files as well. They top-level ones
provide defaults, the ones in specific test directories provide overrides
for that specific test. But they aren't combined in any way, i.e. the more
specific one is just taken as a whole rather than being like a diff, so you
do have to update both.

You might want to take a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1748. Currently if you want to
run all tests it's a pain to change the hosts they're running on since it
requires manually editing all those files. The patch gets rid of
cluster_config.json and provides a couple of different ways of configuring
the cluster -- run everything on localhost, get cluster info from a single
json file, or get the ssh info from Vagrant.

Ewen