Hi Joel,

The mbean approach depends upon storing traffic stats over a period of
time, so is doable but complex. I am thinking about another approach
to check logfiles time-stamp (to check producer activity) in
conjunction with the mtime for topic offsets (consumers activity). So
if both timestamp and mtime are older than 'n' days that may imply a
defunct topic. Will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Jagbir