Yes, Confluent built a REST proxy that gives access to cluster metadata
(e.g. list topics, leaders for partitions, etc), producer (send binary or
Avro messages to any topic), and consumer (run a consumer instance and
consume messages from a topic). And you are correct, internally it uses
Jetty and Jersey.

http://confluent.io/docs/current/kafka-rest/docs/intro.html gives a pretty
detailed listing of what's supported, what isn't yet, and how to get
started. It's also open source, so if you find something you need is
missing, we'd love to get a pull request! Code is available at
https://github.com/confluentinc/kafka-rest

There's also a mailing list for Confluent's platform that you might be
interested in: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/confluent-platform
If you have questions about getting started with the REST proxy, asking
there might be better so we keep this list focused on Kafka itself.

Finally, if Confluent's REST proxy doesn't work for you, we'd like to know
why, but there are also some alternatives -- see the "HTTP REST" section of
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Clients

-Ewen

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Julio Castillo <
jcasti...@financialengines.com> wrote:

> I read the description of the new Confluent Platform and it briefly
> describes some REST access to a producer and a consumer.
> Does this mean there is a new process(es) running (Jetty based)?
> This process integrates both the consumer and producer libraries?
>
> Thanks
>
> Julio Castillo
>
> NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments to it may be privileged,
> confidential or contain trade secret information and is intended only for
> the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If this
> e-mail was sent to you in error, please notify me immediately by either
> reply e-mail or by phone at 408.498.6000, and do not use, disseminate,
> retain, print or copy the e-mail or any attachment. All messages sent to
> and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by or necessary
> under applicable law and regulations.

Ewen