Roger,

Consider using rsyslog with omkafka.  rsyslog rocks!  And it's pretty
popular, too -
http://blog.sematext.com/2014/10/06/top-5-most-popular-log-shippers/ Oh,
and it's FAST - some numbers and charts with an older version from 1 year
ago:
http://blog.sematext.com/2014/01/20/rsyslog-8-1-elasticsearch-output-performance/

Otis