Command line tools are definitely public interfaces. They should get the
same treatment as any other public interface like the APIs or protocols.
Improving and standardizing them is the right thing to do, but
compatibility is still important. Changes should really come with a
well-documented period of deprecation before any old flags are removed.

Ewen