The way it works I suppose is that, the producer will do fetchMetadata, if
the last fetched metadata is stale (the refresh interval has expired) or if
it is not able to send data to a particular broker in its current metadata
(This might happen in some cases like if the leader moves).

It cannot produce without having the right metadata.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,