The max.request.size effectively caps the largest size message the producer
will send, but the actual purpose is, as the name implies, to limit the
size of a request, which could potentially include many messages. This
keeps the producer from sending very large requests to the broker. The
limitation on message size is just a side effect.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Rendy Bambang Junior <
rendy.b.jun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see configuration for broker "max.message.bytes" 1,000,000
> and configuration for producer "max.request.size" 1,048,576
>
> Why is default config for broker is less than producer? If that is the case
> then there will be message sent by producer which is bigger than what
> broker could receive.
>
> Could anyone please clarify my understanding?
>
> Rendy

Ewen