Hi all,

Sometimes we need to replace a kafka broker because it turns out to be a
bad instance. What is the best way of doing this?

We have been using the kafka-reassign-partitions.sh  to migrate all topics
to the new list of brokers which is the (old list + the new instance - the
bad instance). Then we terminate the bad instance once we ensure that it is
getting no traffic. But it seems like this causes an unnecessary amount of
topic churn and is not equivalent to just moving the partitions the bad
broker was responsible for to the new instance.

Is there a better way of going about replacing a single instance (not
adding capacity)? I'd ideally like to just be able to move the partitions
from the old broker to the new one instead of a complete rebalance.

Thanks!