I came across this google group conversation that suggests KafkaConsumer will
not be complete until the next release.
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/kafka-clients/4VLb-_wI22c/imYRlxogo-kJ)

```

org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer<String, String> consumer = new
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer<String, String>(consumerProps);

consumer.subscribe("project-created");

Map<String, ConsumerRecords<String, String>> records = consumer.poll(100);
assertNotNull(records);

```

If I run this from the command line I receive many records:

```

bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --topic
project-created --from-beginning

```

When using the maven dependency below it appears the older scala packages are
not available.

```

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
    <artifactId>kafka-clients</artifactId>
    <version>0.8.2.0</version>
</dependency>

```

Is there a workaround for this?

When is the next release expected to be released?

Am I just using the consumer incorrectly?

Thanks!