Stevo,

Both of the main solutions used by the high-level consumer are standardized
and supported directly by the kafka client libraries (e.g. maintaining
offsets in zookeeper or in kafka itself).  And for the zk case, there is
the consumer offset checker (which is good for monitoring).  Consumer
offset checker still needs to be extended for offsets stored in kafka
_consumer_offset topics though.

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand your question, you want something for
better monitoring of all possible clients (some of which might choose to
manage offsets in their own way)?

It's just not part of the kafka design to directly track individual
consumers.

Jason