Henry: We run Kafka on the old and trusty m1.xlarge. We avoid EBS
completely, it's network storage that pretends to be local and when the
network, which is AWS' weak spot, acts up EBS is a big liability. It's also
slow and expensive.

Others: Thanks for sharing your experience with the d2's. We have been
considering them for Kafka, but now it sounds like we should wait with that
until they're fixed.

T#