The existing consumer uses Zookeeper both to commit offsets and to
assign partitions to different consumers and threads in the same
consumer group.
While offsets can be committed to Kafka in 0.8.2 releases, which
greatly reduces the load on Zookeeper, the consumer still requires
Zookeeper to manage group membership and partition ownership.
The new consumer (which we hope to have ready for 0.8.3 release) will
completely remove the Zookeeper dependency, managing both offsets and
partition ownership within Kafka itself.

Gwen