Hi Jeff,

The simple consumer hasn't really changed, the info you found should still
be relevant. The wiki page on it might be the most useful reference for
getting started:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/0.8.0+SimpleConsumer+Example
And if you want a version all setup to compile and run, we've included it
in Confluent's examples repo: https://github.com/confluentinc/examples

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Gong <j.gon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hey all,
>
> typically i've only ever had to use the high level consumer for my personal
> needs when handling data. recently, however, I have found the need to be
> more selective and careful with managing offsets and want the extended
> capability to do so. i know that there is a bit of documentation on a
> simple consumer example online, but that seems to be for version 0.8.0 and
> i am not sure if any of those features are deprecated?
>
> does anyone have any other resources / repos / etc that they found helpful
> for diving into simple consumer usage? looks like there are a lot of scala
> classes to dig into if i wanted to read the source code. thanks!

Ewen