We upgraded a 9 broker cluster from version 0.8.1 to version 0.8.2.1.
Actually we cherry-picked  the commit
at 41ba26273b497e4cbcc947c742ff6831b7320152 to get zkClient 0.5 because we
ran into a bug described at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-824

Right after the update the CPU spiked quite a bit but I am guessing that is
because the brokers were pulling in log segments from other brokers right
after restart. The CPU remained elevated for a while and I thought it would
come down after things settled down but the CPU has remained higher even
after a day.

Our steady state CPU on the brokers went from about 28% (0.8.1) to 34%
(0.8.2.1). We do not use compression on any topic or partition. Our
incoming traffic (number of messages/sec) has not increased at all. Our
incoming bytes/sec has actually decreased because we managed to reduce the
size of one our message types from 256 bytes to 32 bytes. The message size
change was made hours after the Kafka version update and didn't seem to
harm or help the cpu. The bytes-in/sec and bytes-out/sec metrics have
definitely gone down after the message size reduction.

Here is a link to the graph showing how the CPU went up -
http://i.imgur.com/KVJLzsX.png?1 The restarts were done from 18:00 to 19:00
and I'd expect the CPU to go up at that time but I can't explain the steady
state CPU rise.

Are there any known performance regressions after 0.8.1? Any hints on what
I should investigate if you think that this is not normal?

Thanks,
Rajiv