I think the last major issue with log compaction (that it couldn't handle
compressed messages) was committed as part of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1374 in August, but I'm not
certain what version this will end up in. It may be part of 0.8.2.2.

Regardless, you'll probably be OK now. We've found that once we clean this
issue up once it doesn't appear to recur. As long as you're not writing in
compressed messages to a log compacted topic (and that won't happen with
__consumer_offsets, as it's managed by the brokers themselves - it would
only be if you were using other log compacted topics), you're likely in the
clear now.

-Todd