Venkatesh,

1. It only works with quotes because the message needs to be parsed as JSON
-- a bare string without quotes is not valid JSON. If you're just using a
file sink, you can also try the StringConverter, which only supports
strings and uses a fixed schema, but is also very easy to use since it has
minimal requirements. It's really meant for demonstration purposes more
than anything else, but may be helpful just to get up and running.
2. Which JsonParser error? When processing a message fails, we need to be
careful about how we handle it. Currently it will not proceed if it can't
process a message since for a lot of applications it isn't acceptable to
drop messages. By default, we want at least once semantics, with exactly
once as long as we don't encounter any crashes or network errors. Manual
intervention is currently required in that case.

-Ewen

Ewen