Hi Adaryl,

First, it looks like you might be trying to use the old producer interface.
That interface is going to be deprecated in favor of the new producer
(under org.apache.kafka.clients.producer). I'd highly recommend using the
new producer interface instead.

Second, perhaps this repository of examples will be a helpful starting
point: https://github.com/confluentinc/examples It's just a few basic
examples, but also includes the necessary Maven build scripts. For example,
the couple of lines after the highlighted one here:
https://github.com/confluentinc/examples/blob/master/producer/pom.xml#L32
will include the necessary jar that includes the new producer.

-Ewen

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <
adaryl.wakefi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to java development and am studying how to write
> producers. The sample code I'm looking at has the following import
> statements:
>
> import kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer;
> import kafka.producer.KeyedMessage;
> import kafka.producer.ProducerConfig;
>
> The thing is, he doesn't use any packages that contain these classes.
> You're supposed to use Gradle to compile the code but I'm not a whiz with
> Gradle yet. I'm guessing that Gradle is somehow importing the necessary
> classes at compile time. If I didn't want to use Gradle, how would I go
> about just getting Kafka packages with the classes I need? I can't seem to
> find them by googling.
>

> Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
> Principal
> Mass Street Analytics, LLC