Hi Marina,

You can hop onto your brokers and dump your __consumer_offsets logs
manually in order to see if anything is in them. Hop on each of your
brokers and run the following command:

  for f in $(find /path/to/kafka-logs/__consumer_offsets-* -name "*\.log");
do /usr/local/kafka/bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.DumpLogSegments
--print-data-log --files $f ; done

Remember to replace /path/to/kafka-logs with your configured log.dirs
location, and /usr/local/kafka/ with wherever you have installed kafka.

If that command doesn't generate any output (Starting offset: 0 followed by
nothing) on any of your brokers, then your consumers are for some reason
not committing offsets to Kafka.

Keep in mind that commits to __consumer_offsets by the consumer API use
groupID, Topic, and PartitionID to key off of in order to determine which
partition of __consumer_offsets to save the commit message to. This means
that if you're not running many consumers/topics, you could have partitions
with nothing in them and others with lots. Keep this in mind when using
-simple-consumer scripts as the simple consumer only pulls from one
partition at a time.