HI Dana,
            I worked on that release. Yes HDP-2.3.0 has lot of
            additional patches on top of 0.8.2.1 mainly the kerberos
            patches.
We did missed KAFKA-1841 which was fixed in later maint release. We
already notified everyone to upgrade HDP-2.3.4 this is the apache kafka
0.9.0 + additional patches . We are making sure on our side not to miss
any compatibility patches like these with 3rd party developers and have
tests to ensure that.

Thanks,
Harsha