Hello Oleksiy,

All offsets for given consumer group are stored in (and fetched from) one
and only one partition of all partitions of __consumer_offsets topic. By
default __consumer_offsets has 50 partitions and for each of these
partitions replication factor is 3, so there is one lead and 2 extra
replicas.

If I'm not mistaken, offset/group coordinator for a given consumer group
lives on a broker in Kafka cluster which is lead for __consumer_offsets
topic partition used for offsets of that consumer group.

So your question is I guess equivalent to question - can a different broker
become a lead for a partition, for which answer is yes, as long as there
are alive replicas for that partition.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.