Unless you are on 0.8.1, your JMX query object name should
be 'kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=MessagesInPerSec'

By default the above name should give you an all-topics count, but you can
also request it per-topic by using "topic=", for ex.:

'kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=MessagesInPerSec,topic=myname'

The "AllTopics" prefixes in the metric names were changed away via
KAFKA-1481. See the new monitoring table for 0.8.2 and above:
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#monitoring