After making the suggested change, I see this error during startup

[2016-04-20 18:03:10,522] INFO [Kafka Server 0], started
(kafka.server.KafkaServer)
[2016-04-20 18:03:11,093] WARN Failed to send SSL Close message
(org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer)
java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
    at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.write0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.write(SocketDispatcher.java:47)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.writeFromNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:93)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:65)
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:471)
    at
org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer.flush(SslTransportLayer.java:194)
    at
org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer.close(SslTransportLayer.java:161)
    at
org.apache.kafka.common.network.KafkaChannel.close(KafkaChannel.java:50)
    at org.apache.kafka.common.network.Selector.close(Selector.java:442)
    at org.apache.kafka.common.network.Selector.poll(Selector.java:310)
    at org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient.poll(NetworkClient.java:270)
    at
kafka.utils.NetworkClientBlockingOps$.recurse$1(NetworkClientBlockingOps.scala:128)
    at
kafka.utils.NetworkClientBlockingOps$.kafka$utils$NetworkClientBlockingOps$$pollUntilFound$extension(NetworkClientBlockingOps.scala:139)
    at
kafka.utils.NetworkClientBlockingOps$.kafka$utils$NetworkClientBlockingOps$$pollUntil$extension(NetworkClientBlockingOps.scala:105)
    at
kafka.utils.NetworkClientBlockingOps$.blockingReady$extension(NetworkClientBlockingOps.scala:58)
    at
kafka.controller.RequestSendThread.brokerReady(ControllerChannelManager.scala:225)
    at
kafka.controller.RequestSendThread.liftedTree1$1(ControllerChannelManager.scala:172)
    at
kafka.controller.RequestSendThread.doWork(ControllerChannelManager.scala:171)
    at kafka.utils.ShutdownableThread.run(ShutdownableThread.scala:63)

and also errors during shutdown

[2016-04-20 18:09:15,293] INFO [Kafka Server 0], Starting controlled
shutdown (kafka.server.KafkaServer)
[2016-04-20 18:09:15,330] WARN [Kafka Server 0], Error during controlled
shutdown, possibly because leader movement took longer than the configured
socket.timeout.ms: Connection to Node(0, debian, 9094) failed
(kafka.server.KafkaServer)

the relevant configs are

listeners=SSL://:9094
security.inter.broker.protocol=SSL